Sediment and its management
Sediment is an essential, integral and dynamic part of our river basins, estuaries and seas. Where human activities interfere with sediment quantity or quality, sediment management may become necessary. Effective and sustainable sediment management requires a holistic approach taking into account:
- System understanding;
- Integrated management of soil, water and sediment;
- Transboundary cooperation;
- Upstream-downstream interrelationships; and
- Stakeholder involvement.
In our network, we bring together sediment professionals from science, administration, management, NGOs, consultancy and industry. We interact with various networks and organizations (see Organization), especially in Europe, that operate at national or international level and focus on sediment, soil and water and in fields such as science, policy making, management, industry, education etc. We welcome anyone to share and cooperate according to our vision.
Our mission is to be a leading European network aimed at incorporating sediment issues and knowledge into relevant European and national policies (see picture) in order to support the achievement of good environmental status and to develop and facilitate the implementation of new tools for sediment management.
We focus on all sediment quality and quantity issues – and their impact on ecosystem functioning – ranging from freshwater, at local to river basin scale, to estuarine and marine sediments.
We aime to:
- Contribute to the further development of a holistic understanding of sediments and their management;
- Be a multidisciplinary platform for communication and education about sediment management and the needs for future action (either in policy making, management or research);
- Be the main contact / information point for the European Commission on sediment related questions in relation to sediment related European policies (see picture).
We initiate, support and/or organize several activities, such as:
- Conferences in which we bring together sediment experts from science, management, industry and consultancy.
- Workshops on special topics, such as Round Table discussions on River Basin Sediment Management. In these workshops invited experts participate. The outcome is published on our website and through relevant media.
- Written position and policy statements on special topics after internal consultation within the network.
- E-newsletter about sediment related activities, publications, etc. The whole SedNet community is invited to provide input. We aim to produce four electronic newsletters annually.
- Website which is our main information platform. It provides a data base containing all kinds of information about sediment related topics as well as all SedNet documents. The whole SedNet community is invited to provide input.
- Training courses: we are open to cooperate with, and support anyone who organizes training or education courses that support our vision.